You may have noticed recently I have tended to make cards more on the feminine side, so I wanted to show my ability in making more masculine or unisex style cards. So not that long ago I came up with this card, and I think it has a masculine feel to it with the colour palette and lack of glitter/sparkle, but can remain quite sophisticated and modern. Well, I hope it does! I used a simple die with this design to make a frame focal point to draw your eye in and add interest.
- Card base - I used a ready made kraft card measuring at 5" 3/ x 5" 3/4.
- Patterned paper of your choice. The paper I used was from the Craft Sensations By Grafix Authentic Vintage 12" x 12" design pad.
- 2 Oblong dies with dotted border, 1 smaller than the other. My dies measured at 3" 7/8 x 2" 5/8 and 3" 3/8 x 2" 1/8.
- Die cutting machine - I have a Sizzix Big Shot Plus
- A second patterned paper that complements the background paper. The paper I used came from docrafts A4 Ultimate Die-cut & Paper Pack Capsule collection Mono.
- Letter stickers and embelishment - The ones I used are from the same docrafts die-cut pack.
- Sentiment stamp
- Black ink - I used versafine onyx black
- Acrylic block or stamp press - I used we R Memory keepers Precision Press.
- Adhesive - I used double sided tape
- Double sided foam tape.
Cut your patterned paper down to 5" 3/4 x 5" 3/4 to fit your card base. Using your bigger die, cut this out in the patterned paper with your die-cutting machine. Offset this to one corner to give added interest rather than straight in the centre. This will form the background of your card.
Take the paper die cutout and using your smaller die, send this through your die cutting machine again, creating a frame and smaller die cutout. See below.
Adhere the letter stickers to the inner die cutout spelling the word 'Happy', positioning slightly above the horizontal centre and equally spaced apart. It may help to draw a faint line in pencil to ensure your place the letters straight - you can rub out this line afterwards.
Using either your acrylic block and stamping press, line your sentiment stamp up below the Happy sticker, and centre. Stamp this in black ink. You may need to stamp this twice to get a clear and bold impression.
Adhere your patterned paper background to the card base with your adhesive.
Take you second patterned paper and cut two thin strips measuring 1 x 14cm. Using double sided tape, adhere these to the card, crossing one another over the die cutout area of the background paper.
Apply double sided foam to the back of the sentiment paper sheet and position in the centre of the background die cutout. If you do not have double sided foam tape you can lie this flat or, cut out a foam strip and apply adhesive to make your own double sided foam tape.
To finish this card off, I added an 'enjoy' die cut from the same paper pack as the stickers and paper strips to elevate the card.
So not to waste the frame die cutout produced when making the smaller oblong die cut, I made a matching envelope by adhering this to the front of the enveloping, framing the address are on the front.
This was such a simple card to make, using very few supplies. It can easily be changed to suit different tastes and does not take long to make. It's always useful to have some easy makes on hand for when you need it.
I hope this has inspired you to try a more masculine card, and as always don't forget to follow the blog, Facebook, Instagram and Pintrest!