I recently grew my vinyl collection from a de-stash sale on Facebook and now I am starting to think what can I do with it all!? In the mean time, whilst I look for some great vinyl projects to use it on, I am carrying on with creating some elegant and pretty cards. Today I want to share one with you that was inspired by K Werner Designs - faux dip dye.
For the video that inspired this card, follow this link HERE.
Although my card does not quite have the striking appearance of a dip dye K.Werner was able to achieve, I still like the outcome and feel it is a cross between dip dye and ombre.
- Watercolour paper - I used hot press Daley Rowney Aquafine smooth 140lb, but you can use whatever water colour paper you have.
- Watercolour paints - These don't need to be expensive, just be sure you can easily mix several shades of a colour.
- Flat brush
- Stamp sentiment
- Heat embossing powder
- Heat gun
- Pigment inks of your colour choosing
- Embellishments of your choice
- Plain white card for the base card.
- Foam tape
Using your watercolour paper, tear the bottom to give a ragged look to the bottom edge. When you add paint in the following step it will look like this was where the paint was drawn up from when dipped.
Using the lightest colour start painting a wash two thirds of the way down the paper. Paint this colour all the way down to the bottom torn edge, and paint the torn edge as well. At this point, I went to my water pot and cleaned the brush. Once cleaned, I added clean water to the top of the initial wash to fade the colour upwards to blend the colour out.
Gradually apply darker shades of the initial colour further down the paper. The more you blend in the colours the less dip dye look you will get and perhaps a more ombre affect like I achieved. Either way is great and it is up to you which you prefer. K.Werner video is very useful to watch when painting this step.
As I was a little impatient I did heat seat this with my gun but you don't have to do this.
I wanted to add a big bold sentiment over the lighter area at the top. As I have very few big sentiment stamps I used one of my stencil sentiments I created the other day; to find out how I did this check out this POST.
I used my 'hello' stencil, and instead of heat embossing the sentiment I used a blending tool to apply matching orange pigment ink.
Now I made a couple of errors when I applying the ink. I forgot that when I got closer towards the edge of the stencil that some of the ink could transfer onto the card in areas where I didn't want the ink. You would have thought I would have learnt the first time I did it on the side, but no, I did it on the top as well! For the remainder of the inking, I masked the surrounding card with paper until I was happy with overall look of the stamp.
The mistake on the top was not as bad as that on the side, so I used an eraser to dull down the mistake and make it more invisible. However the mistake at the side was too obvious, so later on I trimmed the card down!
I selected a little dotted line as a little decoration between the main sentiment and the small sentiment. These both came from a stamp set by Docrafts Papermaina 'Mr Mister'.
Both were stamped in versafine pigment ink and I heat embossed with ranger super fine embossing powder to add a shine.
As I previously mentioned in order to get rid of my mistake, I had to trim down the card - my card design became 4 1/4 inches wide and 8 1/8 inches long.
I wanted the design to have a 1/8 of an inch border either side but be flush with the top of the card. I cut my card to 9 inches wide and scored it in half at 4 1/2 inches to give a small put neat border.
I adhered the design to the card base using double sided foam tape. To finish off the card, I added a few stick-on embellishments.
I love how clean and simple this card is using a few interesting techniques.
As always I hope you found this useful and has inspired you to create a faux dip-dye card, just like I was inspired by K Werner Designs, and don't forget to follow the blog, Facebook and Instagram!